Q Shelter is committed to protecting the privacy of your personal information. This statement
explains how Q Shelter manages the personal information that we collect, use and disclose and how
to contact us if you have any further queries about our management of your personal information.
Q Shelter is required by the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act) to comply with the National Privacy
Principles (NPP) (subject to the other provisions of the Privacy Act). The NPPs regulate the manner
in which personal information is handled throughout its life cycle, from collection to use and
disclosure, storage, accessibility and disposal. Q Shelter is also required to comply with the Spam Act
2003 (Cth) (Spam Act).
Collection of personal information by Q Shelter
Q Shelter collects personal information that is reasonably necessary or directly related to its
functions or activities including membership, events, delivery of capacity building products and services and advocacy. To the extent required by the Privacy Act:
– Q Shelter will not collect personal information about you unless that information is
necessary for one or more of our functions or activities
– Q Shelter will collect personal information only by lawful and fair means and not in an
unreasonably intrusive manner
The specific types of personal information Q Shelter may collect and hold includes the following:
– Name, Organisation Details, Email, Postal and Physical Addresses
– Position Title
– Entity type
– Financial information required to process a membership application or payment for a Q
Shelter event, training, product or other service.
When Q Shelter collects personal information directly from you, we will take reasonable steps at or before the time of collection to ensure you are aware of certain key matters, such as the purpose for which we are collecting the information, the organisations (or types of organisations) to which we would normally disclose information of that kind, the fact that you are able to access the information and how to contact us (for example, where personal information is collected on a form, we will generally include a link to this statement).
Q Shelter will collect your personal information directly from where it is reasonable and practicable to do so. Where Q Shelter collects information about you from a third party or source, we will still take reasonable steps to ensure that you are made aware of the details set out above.
Why does Q Shelter collect personal information?
· Process applications for membership and membership renewals
· Manage memberships
· Process applications for enrolment in training, conferences, events or other services offered by Q Shelter
· Process subscriptions to the Q Shelter ‘Housing Matters’ e-newsletter
· Record and maintain membership details and profile information
· Provide information on Q Shelter services and benefits available
· Notify stakeholders about Q Shelter events
· Ensure compliance with Q Shelter’s constitution
From time to time, Q Shelter surveys its members and non-member participants on a range of issues such as marketing surveys regarding candidates’ experience with Q Shelter’ customer service, quality of on-line manuals or training and events. If you do not wish to participate in these surveys, please let us know (our contact details are provided at the end of this policy).
If you are a prospective member and you give us your consent, we may also use your personal information to provide you with information about Q Shelter and our current and future membership benefits. You can let us know at any time if you no longer wish to be contacted for this purpose. Your consent will remain current until you advise us otherwise.
Use and disclosure of personal information by Q Shelter
If Q Shelter uses or discloses your personal information for a purpose (secondary purpose) other than the main reason for which it was originally collected (primary purpose), to the extent required by the Privacy Act, we will ensure that:
· The secondary purpose is related to the primary purpose of collection (and directly related
in the case of sensitive information), and you would reasonably expect that Q Shelter would
use or disclose your information in that way
· You have consented to the use or disclosure of your personal information for the secondary
o The use or disclosure is required or authorised by or under law, or
o The use or disclosure is otherwise permitted by the Privacy Act (for example, as a
necessary part of an investigation of suspected unlawful activity).
How might we contact you?
We may contact you in a variety of ways, including by post, email, telephone calls or facsimile.
We will not send you any commercial electronic messages such as emails unless this is permitted by the Spam Act (for example, if we have your express or inferred consent to do so). Any commercial electronic message that we send will identify Q Shelter as the sender and will include our contact details. The message will also provide an unsubscribe facility. If you do not wish to receive commercial electronic message from us, please let us know.
When does Q Shelter disclose personal information to third parties?
In performing our functions and activities, we may need to disclose personal information to third parties. Third parties with whom Q Shelter may share your personal information include, where appropriate:
· Training or professional development providers involved with or engaged by Q Shelter
· Financial institutions for payment processing
· Q Shelter’s contracted service providers
Accuracy of Personal Information and Security
Q Shelter stores personal information in different ways including in paper and in electronic form. The accuracy and security of personal information is important to Q Shelter and we will take reasonable steps to:
· Make sure that the personal information that we collect, use and disclose is accurate,
complete and up to date
· Protect the personal information that we hold from misuse and loss and from unauthorised
access, modification or disclosure
· Destroy or permanently de-identify personal information that is no longer needed for any
purpose that is permitted by the Privacy Act.
Access and correction of your personal information
Q Shelter will provide you with access to your personal information that we hold about you and will take reasonable steps to amend any personal information that is incorrect, or allow you to do so. This information may be requested by contacting Q Shelter and we will make your information available to you within 30 days of the receipt of the request.
Please contact us if you have any concerns or complaints about the manner in which your personal information has been collected or handled by Q Shelter. Every effort will be made to resolve a complaint around privacy quickly and effectively as soon as Q Shelter has been made aware of that complaint.
515 Wickham Terrace, Spring Hill Qld 4000
PO Box 214, Spring Hill Qld 4000
Email: email@example.com | Telephone: (07) 3831 5900