Queenslanders will now be better protected and kept safer by domestic violence orders issued in Queensland.
The National Domestic Violence Scheme came into effect on November 25, with all orders imposed from that day recognised nationwide.
Minister for Prevention of Domestic and Family Violence Shannon Fentiman said important reforms agreed to at the Council of Australian Governments would keep victims safer.
“Previously people who held a DVO in one state had to apply to have it recognised if they moved to another state,” Ms Fentiman said.
“Under this national regime a DVO in any state or territory holds the same legal weight as in the state where it is issued.
“This is particularly important in areas of Queensland close to borders with other states, where people regularly live or work on either side of the border.”
Ms Fentiman said the scheme was another important step in preventing domestic and family violence.
“The Palaszczuk Government has undertaken extensive reforms in this area, including expanding specialist DV courts, tougher penalties for breaching DVOs and massively expanding domestic violence services,” she said.
“We are implementing all of the recommendations of the Not Now, Not Ever report and we will not take one backward step in our effort to eliminate violence.”